Thursday, July 16, 2015

Finger Counting

So I haven't been much of a blogger these days! My own cute little munchkin keeps me pretty busy. I am headed back to school in the fall after a year off with him. I have super mixed feelings about it! I love teaching, but oh how wonderful it has been to stay home and watch my own little one grow and learn!! 

 While this cute kid naps, I have been starting to work on some stuff for school! This little finger counting mat can be used when you need a more kinesthetic approach to counting! It will help with 1:1 correspondence too. 

I printed out a whole class set of these and had baggies ready to go with ten chips inside. Then as students sat on the carpet, we arranged all our chips into the bottom circles. I made a larger board for myself and hung it on a magnet board. I put magnets on my chips so I could model for my students how to push up a chip to the top of each finger as I counted. 

This was something fun for the beginning of the year and it was easy to place into a center once the kids got the hang of it!


If you would like to try this activity with your own class, it can be found in my TPT store for $1.00!! Don't you love that TPT got rid of the three dollar minimum? Yay! Sometimes you just need a cheap, cute idea! 

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Finger-Counting-Mat-1962289

No comments:

Post a Comment